Monday, October 29, 2007

Research Leaps Forward 20 years

Dr. Slak Recognized as Research Pioneer!

I am tickled pink! Not only are the Red Sox World Series Champions, the Patriots undefeated and BC #2 in the country (OK, that’s all the sport news you’ll get out of me) but I also got what amounts to the biggest compliment of my career.

As most of you know, I have been working on designing, organizing and running a study on the effect of chiropractic adjustments on asthma at Harvard Med School. It has been a long and tortuous road that has tested my persistency many times. Finding money to finance the study was somewhat easier than expected and I am very grateful to Life University for stepping up to the plate.

The most frustrating hurdle I ran into is the lack of people in the chiropractic profession who have the skills required to write the necessary paperwork. I met with several doctors over the last two years who were enthusiastic about my project, wanted a piece of it, but eventually fell through when it came time to do the work. Last week, I brought out the big guns. I invited Dr. Joel Alcantara, Director of Research for the ICPA (www.icpa.org) to work with me.

The ICPA is one of the largest chiropractic organizations in the world and a leader in chiropractic research. Dr. Alcantara flew in from his home base in the San Francisco area to meet with my research partners at Brigham and Women’s Hospital. There, he was briefed on the revolutionary technology we plan to utilize and the details of the study design.
As we walked out of that meeting, he looked at me and said: “Dr. Slak, do you realize what your study means?” I replied hesitantly: “We’ll be able to reach and help more people?” (Is this a test?). Dr. Alcantara exclaimed: “This study leapfrogs any chiropractic research ever done by 20 years!” This, my friends, is a proud moment. Being recognized professionally in such a manner is truly extraordinary and I am very grateful to Dr. Alcantara for giving me such an accolade.

Jean-Marc Slak, DC

www.drslak.com

No comments: